The Center for Evidence-Based Dentistry
The ADA Center for Evidence-based Dentistry is headquartered in the ADA Division of Science, under the advisement of the Council on Scientific Affairs. Established in 2007, the Center develops resources to help dentists integrate clinically relevant scientific evidence at the point of care. The Center facilitates access to the best available scientific information related to oral health care, and develops evidence-based resources for use in clinical practice. The Center has the following Vision and Mission Statement:
To Lead in the Promotion of Oral Health by Disseminating the Best Available Scientific Information and Helping Practitioners Implement it into Clinical Practice.
The Center assists practitioners and improves the oral health of the public by:
- Collaborating with other interested parties to enhance the evidence base and its integration in clinical practice;
- Appraising and disseminating the best available scientific evidence on oral health care; and
- Helping practitioners understand and apply the best available evidence in their clinical decision-making.
The Evidence-Based Dentistry Web site
This EBD Web site is supported by a generous grant from the National Library of Medicine and the National Institute for Dental and Craniofacial Research (Grant Number 1 G08 LM008956). The Center works with the Critical Review Panel and the ADA Evidence Reviewers to bring you this web site.
ADA Critical Review Panel
The ADA Critical Review Panel (CRP) is a committee of EBD experts, clinicians and consultants that was established in 2007 to collaborate in the development of this website and the critical summaries. Members of the CRP mentor the ADA Evidence Reviewers.
For more information on the CRP go to Critical Review Panel in the Operations Manual.
Critical Review Panel
- Dr. Elliot Abt, Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center, Chicago
- Dr. James Bader, University of North Carolina
- Dr. Ben Balevi, University of British Columbia
- Dr. Janet Clarkson, University of Dundee; Cochrane Oral Health Group
- Dr. Paul S. Farsai, Boston University
- Dr. Carlos Flores-Mir, University of Alberta
- Dr. John Gunsolley, Virginia Commonwealth University
- Dr. Catherine Hayes, Health Resources in Action
- Dr. Philippe Hujoel, University of Washington
- Dr. Mike John, University of Minnesota
- Dr. Debora Matthews, Dalhousie University
- Dr. Joseph Matthews, University of New Mexico
- Dr. Woosung Sohn, Boston University
- Dr. Sergio Uribe, Universidad Austral de Chile
- Dr. Kate Vig, The Ohio State University
- Dr. Robert Weyant, University of Pittsburgh
- Dr. James Zahrowski, Tustin, CA
Center for Evidence-Based Dentistry Staff
- Dr. Julie Frantsve-Hawley, Senior Director of the ADA Center for Evidence-Based Dentistry
- Dr. Sharon Tracy, Assistant Director of the ADA Center for Evidence-Based Dentistry
- Erica Vassilos, Manager of the ADA Center for Evidence-Based Dentistry